Oh no, not again
Oct. 4th, 2008 01:44 amIt is only recently that I finished reinstalling all the software on my repaired laptop computer, after replacing the faulty hard disc.
I unplugged it from its network cable and used it in another room, on the wireless connection, for a while. After that, when I reconnected it to the wired network it failed to connect. It appears as if the network connector has suffered a subtle failure, perhaps in its connection to the motherboard.
This type of failure will no doubt be much more frequent now that solder cannot legally contain lead. That doesn't help me, though.
I started dismantling the machine, but when it became clear that the entire laptop would have to be reduced to a pile of parts in order for me to see whether it was possible to repair the wired connection, I decided not to take the risk of disturbing something else, and shortening its working life, so I am using it only on the wireless network for now. Synchronising to another computer will take much longer now.
I unplugged it from its network cable and used it in another room, on the wireless connection, for a while. After that, when I reconnected it to the wired network it failed to connect. It appears as if the network connector has suffered a subtle failure, perhaps in its connection to the motherboard.
This type of failure will no doubt be much more frequent now that solder cannot legally contain lead. That doesn't help me, though.
I started dismantling the machine, but when it became clear that the entire laptop would have to be reduced to a pile of parts in order for me to see whether it was possible to repair the wired connection, I decided not to take the risk of disturbing something else, and shortening its working life, so I am using it only on the wireless network for now. Synchronising to another computer will take much longer now.
no subject
Date: 2008-10-04 11:29 am (UTC)What is the connection here? (I'm not arguing - just curious).
no subject
Date: 2008-10-04 12:38 pm (UTC)Because lead is doubleplus ungood to have in the environment where it can enter the food chain, at around the time that the EU made regulations that all electronic equipment must be recycled and the materials reclaimed - to minimise environmental contamination with substances inimical to life - another regulation was made that solder should not contain lead.
Now solder contains tin, and maybe trace quantities of copper or silver, and needs much higher temperatures to melt. It tends to crystalise as it sets, and at low temperatures will grow whiskers that eventually short out adjacent connections if that is physically possible. There is almost no gap between the minimum temperature to melt the solder, and the maximum before the components will be damaged. Indeed, some specialised components can no longer be used, and therefore some specialised products can no longer be made.
So, electronics waste, that must be recycled in any case, will be slightly less hazardous if disposed of in landfill. However, there will be much more of it, on account of manufacturing faults and early failures due to the barely useable solder.
There are temporary exemptions for military and avionic applications. When they cease, I hope that, for the first five years, only EU commissioners will fly on aircraft that have lead-free avionics, and that they will not travel by any other type of aircraft. At least, I would wish that, were it not for the crew...